Oil pulling is an ancient Ayurvedic dental technique that dates back 3000 years. It involves swishing a tablespoon of oil in your mouth for about 20 minutes.
Benefit of Oil Pulling
- The most important benefit of oil pulling is, it reduces a number of harmful bacteria in your mouth. When you swish the oil in your mouth, bacterias get stuck in the oil and dissolve.
- Streptococcus Mutans is one of the most dangerous bacteria in the mouth. It causes tooth decay and gum disease.A small study in 2009 found that pulling sesame oil reduce plaque and the bacterium Streptococcus Mutans in as little as 2 weeks.
- Another study in 2013 found that pulling sesame oil has a significant effect on plaque and gingivitis.
- Oil pulling can also reduce bad breath. Bad breath is mostly caused by the smell of chemical and gases produced by the bacteria in your mouth.When you pull oil, you get rid of bacteria. As a result, you get rid of bad breath too.
- Oil possesses natural antibiotic and antiviral properties that brighten and cleans teeth. You can get brighter teeth in as little as one week.
There are many many people on the internet who claims oil pulling helped them with other problems like migraine, allergy, hormonal imbalance etc. Unfortunately, no scientific research have been done on this subject.
But oil pulling is effective at reducing bacteria in your mouth. And bad oral hygiene can cause all sorts of problems in your body. So it makes sense that cleaning your mouth by oil pulling can lead to benefit for overall health as well.
How to Do Oil Pulling
Coconut and sesame oil are the most popular pulling oils. But it should work with pretty much any oil you choose.
Subscribe Our Youtube Channel For Amazing Health Tips
I prefer coconut oil. It has the same bacteria fighting ability of sunflower and sesame oil. As an added bonus, it has lauric acid which is well known for its anti-microbial agent, making it more effective.
Here’s how to do it:
- Put a teaspoon of oil in your mouth.
- Swish the oil in your mouth for 5 minutes.
- Spit out the oil, then brush your teeth.
Oil tastes really bad in the mouth. Some people use a drop of essential oil to make the taste better. But even with essential oil, you will have problem swishing for 20 minutes at first. So start with 5 minutes. Then increase the time by a little bit every day until you hit the 20 minutes mark.
If your jaw starts aching a few minutes in, you’re swishing too forcefully. Slow down. Gently swish it around and try to suck the oil through your teeth.
You might feel a headache the first few times you try this. The headache will go away a few minutes after you spit the oil out. After a few days, you won’t feel any headache.
Don’t swallow. If you swallow, all the bacteria will go to your stomach and cause more damage. If you find it hard not to swallow, you probably have too much oil in your mouth. Spit some out and continue swishing. Don’t spit it in the sink. The line can clog. Spit it into the trash can or toilet.
It is best to do this on an empty stomach. Brush after you do this. Don’t skip brushing or flushing.
You don’t have to do it every day if you don’t want to. Many people do it four to five times a week.
Oil pulling can be very beneficial for your oral health. It’s also very inexpensive. It has no downside as long as you do it correctly using quality oil.
Don’t skip your regular visit to your dentist. And don’t use oil pulling as a treatment to any of your oral disease.
If you have any question, let us know in the comments. Also, don’t forget to tell us about your experience after you try oil pulling.